17 Blog Design Improvements That Can Be Done Under 5 Minutes
If you are not a web designer, then it’s most likely that you consider blog design a chore, much worse that washing dishes! We (yes, myself included!) tend to think that blog design means a total overhaul of the appearance leading to hours and hours of work. You may also have the mindset that blog design work can only be carried out by a skilled web designer and shy away from doing any changes to your blog.
No time, no money to spend, no design skill etc . You’ll probably think of many excuses, just to steer clear from making any changes.
I have mentioned before about my full-time job and juggle blogging on the sidelines. So naturally, blog design usually falls into the “nice to have” category in my to do list.
However, when I have a few minutes to spare, I do minor blog design tweaks. I have come to realize that a small blog design tweaks over a long period of time, works out equally well.
So here are a few quick and easy blog design improvements, just about anyone can make in just a few minutes. (If you are unsure how to implement some of these suggestions below, contact my genie friend by Google’n 😉 )
Blog design improvement – blog home page improvement
1. Add a fav icon to the blog (notice mine? hint just added today!)
2. Improve your site header navigation
3. Add a Numbered page navigation to the bottom of the home page
4. Make your calls to action more prominent (WHAT do you want a visitor to do? change color, highlight, re-size)
5. Make your logo link to your homepage (Make your blog title and logo clickable)
6. Add a “back to top” link to your footer
7. Create an Informative “404 Error” Page
8. Check alignment of blog elements. e.g header, sidebar heading – middle align? left align? etc
9. Make the links stand out for the rest of the text (color, underline, change on hover ?)
10. View your blog with different browsers and see what can be improved
11. Put your RSS newsfeed link somewhere prominent on your site
12. Add a search Box – make it easy for your readers to find old content
Blog design improvements within the blog post
12. Add image styles for images within a blog post (Perhaps you’d like to have burned edges, torn effect etc modify the css style sheet accordingly)
13. Customize your “blockquote” tag
14. Blog post comment design tweaks (any color changes, background image that can be added to entice the user to comment?)
Blog design improvements for the side bar
15. Clean up the blog sidebar! (do you really really need all what you have at the moment?)
16. Add a short bio area – Do you see a glimpse of me on the right hand side of this page? (The blog sidebar is a great place to show your readers who you are)
17. Add a Facebook plugin widget
Some of these don’t even take five minutes to implement! Get started right now. Surely, you have five minutes to spare.
Any other minor improvements you can think of that you have tried and can recommend?